[mythtv-users] Question re: available SATA ports and linux software RAID

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Sun Apr 10 20:57:27 UTC 2011

Err, when I said:

    > Does this mean you wrote the driver for the AOC-SAT2-MV8
    > boards, using the SiiL 3114 chipset, as well?  Certainly
    > that board appears to be using that driver.

...I'm not sure what I was thinking; that board of course uses
the MV88SX6081, with sata_mv.

Btw, I just noticed this discussion:

    http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=10

...which talks about all kinds of SAS/SATA multiport controllers.

Note that 3 TB Hitachi's are currently on sale at Newegg today for
$130 after applying a $20 discount code.  Anyone have anything to say
about 'em?

Oddly, I see various people claiming the MV8 will or won't support
anything over 1 TB, without much agreement.  I don't know if that's
something that 4K sectors helps with, though the drives I've tried,
while being Advanced Format, also erroneously report 512B secotors.
(I've hung 2 TB Samsung's off several and they seem just fine; I also
tried a WDEARS20.  Dunno if 3 TB's are any reason to think differently.)