[mythtv-users] Question re: available SATA ports and linux software RAID

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Sat Apr 9 21:10:37 UTC 2011

On 11-04-08 10:30 PM, Bobby Gill wrote:

>     You have to be careful with some RAID cards ; even if you add disks as
>     JBOD, they become unusable with anything other than the RAID card it's
>     been first used with.
>
>     Learnt the hard way with that crap RocketRaid card
>

> Whoa, this is a bit scary. Is that only with the RR cards or does it also apply
> to these Rosewill cards we're talking about too? (RC-218/211)

Dunno about "JBOD", but RocketRAID cards also have "legacy" mode,
where you DO NOT EVER configure your drive using the onboard BIOS.

Drives treated in that fashion are "portable" to other controllers.
But beware the (posted earlier) nastiness about the onboard BIOS
overwriting a sector 1GB from the end of the drive.

To be save, don't use the last 2GB of space (or read the earlier post
and figure out the exact limit based on the sector calculation formula).

Cheers