[mythtv-users] Question re: available SATA ports and linux software RAID

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Fri Apr 8 17:40:43 UTC 2011

> Fortunately this isn't a problem any more - all recent drives (I can't
> remember exactly when they started - somewhere in the 250-500GB range I
> think) use standard sizes across all manufacturers, so any 2TB drive
> will serve as a replacement for any other.
>
> Cheers,
>    Robin

Whew! This is good to know. I think mixing up the brands does make sense
based on what Simon says (hehe).

 If you do not add them to an array in the firmware they are
> automatically in JBOD mode and show up as normal sata devices with the
> fusion mpt sas driver from the kernel.
> >
> > And are those the same cables just measuring differently at 18/36 or do I
> > need one of each? Look the same to me, but just checking.
> >
> The difference is just the length. At work I mixed it up and got a few
> 36 inch and a few 18 inch SAS break out cables.
>
> John

Ah, thanks, all sinks in now :)

> All the more reason to put the OS and DB on a small SSD.  You can't
> beat them for random I/O and a 30GB drive is plenty big enough and
> easily affordable.
>
> Eric

I will be doing this for my desktop/workstation machine (OS on SSD), but the
server I'm setting up as per this thread's initial inquiry will be an HTPC
that will have XBMC+myth running and playing video files/mp3s directly via
HDMI to a receiver, and I already have about 6 or 7 drives of various
320/500/750 sizes that I'll make use of for the OS.

It sounds like having 2 arrays makes the most sense for my situation? RAID1
for OS, RAID6 for data.

I have a question about PCI-E speed and what to do, I am thinking of either
of these cards:

1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132018 (RC-218)
2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132008 (RC-211)

Now if I get the RC-211 (2-port), it is limited to x1, but I could get 3 of
them for the price of one RC-218 (4-port), but this latter one uses x4. So
the cost comparison is fairly clear (1 4-port card same as 3 2-port cards),
but what would the difference in speed be in using 3 cards in x1, vs. 1 card
in x4??

Thanks
Bobby