[mythtv-users] XBMC Mythtv Frontend Plugin

Alan Young ayoung at teleport.com
Fri Apr 8 16:42:12 UTC 2011

Staffan Pettersson wrote:
> I have been eger to try this out for a while but i have upgraded to
> mythtv 0.24 so the missing livetv part is a showstoppper for me. I
> really like the other parts of xbmc. The user inteface is pretty sweet
> and the plugin ecosystem is what stands out in xbmc. I tried a couple
> of streaming plugins like youtube and a swedish ondemand site called
> svtplay and can say that those plugins are great!
>
> The best solution would be that the plugins for mythtv would evolve.
> It has been great to follow the mythtv progress under all these years
> a have been using it. My biggest wish is that mythnetvision will get
> more attention. The version that is in 0.24-fixes is quite unusable at
> the moment.

I've found a few things that are lacking with the mythbox plugin and the
builtin myth:// protocol
support that xbmc has.  It's got a it bit to go to replace a front end
for me.  The streaming and
extras are nice.  And of course, the selection of eye candy is nice too.

I've found a way to go back and forth between the two.  It's not
complete integration, but it
works well enough for me.  You'll need to modify your theme's menu to do it.

In the main menu xml file, I've added

    <button>
        <type>XBMC</type>
        <text>XBMC</text>
        <action>EXEC /usr/local/bin/xbmc_from_myth</action>
    </button>

And in /usr/local/bin, I put the script called xbmc_from_myth:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session
/usr/bin/xbmc --standalone -fs

That's working well with .23 fixes and xbmc 10.1.  I select it off the
menu and it launches xbmc.
When it's done it comes back to the frontend.  With mythbox enabled as
an xbmc addon, I can watch
myth recordings without having to come back to myth.  I do come back to
myth for live tv,
scheduling items like program finds and other maintenance.

Alan