[mythtv-users] 'Good stuff' v 'everyday' storage setup question

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Fri Apr 8 00:22:59 UTC 2011

Harry Coin asked:

> I bet there are many who like me separate their media world into
> generally two buckets, 'important to keep over the years' and
> 'everyday'.    Favorite shows, home movies, and the like we want to
> store on backed up media/RAID.  The everyday material can accumulate on
> lone backend server drives as when those eventually die it's a bother
> but not a heartbreak.
>
> The struggle I'm having with mythtv is setting up a disk storage
> structure that reflects that fact while being usable.

I still do it the old-fashioned way. TV recordings are temporary,
Videos are long-term. /myth/tv and /myth/video are separate
volumes and disc devices.

If random bit of TV is worth keeping, it either gets
archived onto a DVD for my wife to use at school,
or I move it into the videos directory.

Storage groups have probably complicated this a little,
but there used to be a script that could be run as a
"User Job" to move a TV recording into the videos dir.

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au|Excuse me, have you seen a     |
Telstra Net. Eng., Sydney, Australia | blowfish driving a sports car?|