[mythtv-users] Question re: available SATA ports and linux software RAID

Jos Hoekstra joshoekstra at gmx.net
Thu Apr 7 21:58:03 UTC 2011

Op 7-4-2011 17:26, Simon Hobson schreef:
> Ian Clark wrote:
>
>> Oh, and it's also worth remembering that for RAID5 you should ideally
>> have a number of drives that's a power of 2 plus 1, this should be a
>> power of 2 plus 2 for RAID 6 (so a raid5 array is ideally 3 drives, 5
>> drives, 9 drives etc etc)
> Where did that come from ? I've never heard it before, and TBH I
> can't see any logical reason for it.
These sound like the numbers advised on ZFS(which seems pretty cool,
self-healing, snapshots and so on)
RAIDZ likes sets of 2,3,5,9 disk and Z2 6, 10 disks.
If I 'd had to choose something for just mythtv I'd choose separate
disks and well configure storage groups, risk is same as loosing a
single disk and no hassle.

Jos