[mythtv-users] Anybody using analog "soft encoder" tuners under 0.24 ?

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Wed Apr 6 21:19:27 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 4/6/2011 16:29, Mark Lord wrote:
>> Might as well schedule complete removal of the feature (and .nuv!)
>> from some future version of mythtv -- probably gives as huge a gain
>> to the codebase as ditching xv support would/did.  :)
>
> The dropping of support of XvMC, and discussion of dropping of Xv, were
> resulting from the rewrite of much of the playback display code for
> 0.24, in combination with the OSD.  It was an issue at the forefront, as
> continued support would require a significant amount of additional code
> to be written.
>
> While many developers think framegrabber support should be dropped, and
> NuppelVideo support replaced by mkv or something more else mainstream,
> it's really not hurting anything.  Framegrabber support will probably be
> dropped the first time it needs significant maintenance, or if support
> of it will result in additional work to add a new feature.  Replacing
> NuppelVideo would actually require significant additional work, on a
> feature that is rarely used among the developers anyway.

I think part of the problem you will run into is that as analog TV
continues to get less popular, the cost associated with having an
onboard encoder will result in more and more boards not having them.
Compounded by the fact that PCs are continuing to get faster, it just
makes less sense to incur the cost (especially since many users cannot
tell the difference).

It's similar to the "Winmodems" of the late 1990's.  In the beginning
they were seen as crappy and inferior to regular modems that had an
onboard DSP, but over time the benefits of cheaper hardware combined
with computers becoming fast enough to do the work entirely in
software, modems that weren't software based became the "premium"
exception as opposed to the rule.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs