[mythtv-users] Hardware Purchase

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Mon Apr 4 21:06:13 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 5:00 PM, john.baab at gmail.com <john.baab at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If he needs analog support, the HDHR isn't really an option.
>
> True, he should also consider that analog is dead and being phased
> out, so picking up something specifically for it seems silly.
> Meanwhile the HDHR gives you 2 inputs, and multirec, and doesn't take
> a PCI slot.

At least in the United States, the vast majority of people are going
to be hooking their tuner to the analog output of a cable box - even
more so as DTAs proceed to lock down more and more channels.

I don't dispute that the HDHR does have some advantages if you're
talking about OTA, but if you are trying to capture via cable (which
accounts for somewhere between 70-90% of users in the United States),
then you're going to need a solution that involves analog.

In other words, people like to say "analog is dead", but in fact it is
far from it.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs