[mythtv-users] Two HVR-950Q tuners

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Mon Apr 4 13:03:04 UTC 2011

On 11-04-03 07:33 PM, George Nassas wrote:
> On 2011-04-03, at 6:46 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
>
>> But if they are hooked to different sources, then you'll have to do
>> some system tweaking to ensure they always end up with the same DVB numbering
>> from boot to boot.
>
> Is this tweaking something other than udev rules? I have two different dvb
> cards and myth ignores the soft links I create through udev.
>
> Sorry if this is a dumb question - I only noticed the problem yesterday and
> haven't had a chance to read up on what to do about it. If you happen to have
> the handy solution I'd be grateful!

I never warmed up to udev rules, but they are the best
general solution for this type of issue, if you can
figure them out and get them to work.

The HVR-950Q has a problem, in that it does not have a unique
serial number per device.  So plug in multiple ones, and the
only way to distinguish between them in software is to use
the USB bus identifiers.

This is all compounded in mythtv-0.24, because mythtv does NOT
permit the user to enter an arbitrary DVB device string for some reason.
Or at least not with the Mythbuntu theme I'm using.

It allows device name strings for non-DVB tuners, but insists on
forcing use of simple 0/1 style numbering for DVB (DTV) tuners.

Which makes the whole problem extremely difficult for many users.
I had to write a script here to reorder the /dev/dvb/ directory
to get consistent numbering for my DTV tuners.

I might clean it up and post it (or a link to it) if there's sufficient interest.

Cheers