[mythtv-users] Great experience with MythTV

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 3 13:51:02 UTC 2011

On 03/04/2011, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 03/29/2011 09:26 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
>> On 11-03-29 08:18 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>>> Note that is generally preferred to remove all tuners, and add them all
>>> back, if reorganizing stuff.  The order you define capture cards is the
>>> order the scheduler will use them, and that should be the method of
>>> controlling tuner selection rather than setting tuner priorities.
>> Really?  That sounds like its asking for trouble,
>> as I'm 100% positive that someday somebody will alter
>> something such that the "order of definition" no longer
>> equals "priority".
>>
>> I very much prefer to set the priorities myself regardless
>> of what order tuners get defined in, just for the positive
>> assurance that specific tuners will be preferred when recording.
>>
>> For LiveTV, things may be different.  Dunno.
>
> Note that when you specify input priority, you're not specifying which
> card to use in which order.  Instead, you're specifying which shows to
> record.
>
> There's only one priority in MythTV, and when people change input and
> channel priorities, they're not doing what the user expects.
>
> Before changing any input or channel priority--or, if you've already
> done so--everyone should read (and understand) all of section 12 of the
> HOWTO.  http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html
>
> Mike

Just to add an information footnote to this thread.

If you have different tuner card types in your backend you can find
that sometimes they will load in the Kernel in a different order, this
is down to how fast a card starts up and signals it's availability in
either a warm or cold reboot.

Therefore if you have a mix of physical card types it's wise to
blacklist them all loading on boot and write a script that loads them
in a specific order with sleep commands between each card load
command, this will avoid you for example trying to record DVB-T
recordings in your DVB-S card that loaded quicker this boot.