[mythtv-users] everyday i have to make sure myth worked the day before

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Apr 1 11:01:40 UTC 2011

There used to be a time when my wife would accuse Mythtv of not
recording something it was supposed to and without even questioning it I
would defend Mythtv and say, if it was supposed to record it, it did.
And every time I was proven correct.

Lately however, I spend a few minutes every single morning looking over
the "Upcoming Recordings" schedule for the previous 24 hours (which I
keep open in a browser window and keep a day or 3 "behind" since there
is no way to ask Mythweb for what the schedule was in the past) and make
sure that everything that was supposed to record did and was recorded
completely.

And sadly, every few days I have to go report to my wife when something
that was supposed to record didn't, for no fault of our own, but due to
mythbackend locking up and/or having to be restarted so that a frontend
can communicate with it, etc.

Every time this happens it gets harder and harder to continue selling
how we should keep using it and how we should not slide back into the
ugly mode of scheduling our lives around when television shows are
airing so that we can sit down in front of the television while the show
is airing to make sure we don't miss it.

b.