[mythtv-users] LiveTV: stutter at program start/change resolved by short pause..?

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Thu Sep 30 08:48:13 UTC 2010

Daniel Born wrote:

If you don't mind, I'm going to hijack my own thread back! ;-) there's already low enough traffic and interest on this that I'd hate having it go in another direction...
The problem that I and others are referring to is not caused by channel changes: You start listening to a livetv program. It's choppy. pause-unpause and it's fine. Then your show ends and a new one begins, same channel. Choppyness starts again. pause-unpause. your good again.

Thanks!
Daniel

I don't use live-TV much so not sure if this is related.

I have a combined FE/BE with 6 TB of recordings that worked very well without any maintenence of the database or other.

When upgrading MythTV from 0.22 to 0.23 I started a backup of the database to the system partition which got filled up and trashed the system. Fortunately I managed to make a complete backup to one of the storage disks after this but had to reinstall the system, then installed MythTv 0.22 again to verify it was working and that no recordings were lost before upgrading to 0.23.

After this reinstall I know that the storage disks are mounted at different directories than before but since they all are connected to the same storage group MythTV finds all the recordings.

But what I have noticed after this reinstall is that MythTV over time gets very sluggish in general and particularly when it comes to starting playback of recordings and also fast forward.

My solution when this happens is to run the script for optimizing the database, then all is fine for a while.
I guess that it is mainly optimization of the recordedseek table that solves the problem in my case.

Jens