[mythtv-users] Thoughts on the upcoming Boxee Box as a possible frontend?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 28 15:55:00 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, September 28, 2010 09:45:54 am Matt Emmott wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > I was considering buying a Boxee box, but it doesn't look like it would
> > give me anything I can't get with Myth and PlayON
> > now, except a strange-looking box in my LR.
>
> It will give you native Netflix without the need for Windows or PlayOn.

So, like the Roku box, it runs Linux but can get Netflix? Are they using some sort of binary blob to do the Netflix part?

Someone had posted here that it runs Windows, but I think that was speculation.

Looks like an additional $100 over the cost of a Popcorn Hour or a Myka, in order to get Netflix.

Not all that unreasonable, especially if I could run my own Linux software and still have access to Netflix somehow.

I guess it's another "buy it and play with it to see what it can do" situation. Certainly wouldn't be the first time I have
done that.