[mythtv-users] Can't play recordings unless slave backend is running

Greg Estabrooks greg at phaze.org
Mon Sep 27 18:06:52 UTC 2010

> > MythTV will first check to see if the file is available on a locally
> > mounted drive, before falling back to the listed for the recording in
> > the database.  If all of your storage is on the master backend, there is
> > an option called 'master backend override', which will force all
> > streaming to be done from the master backend, for setups like yours.
>
> Thanks a bunch, that worked.

 Another option as well is to update the host entry in the recorded table for the recording to be the master backend which is what I have a Userjob set to do after every recording finishes on my slave backends.

The Userjob is :

  /data/mythtv/bin/updatehost.pl %FILE% %HOSTNAME% woop

 (woop is my master backend)

And the script is just :

#!/usr/bin/perl
use DBI;

$dbname = "mythconverg";
$dbhost = "192.168.0.24";
$dbuser = "mythtv";
$dbpass = "mythtv";

$fname = $ARGV[0] or die "I need a filename";
$ohost = $ARGV[1] or die "I need an old host";

$nhost = $ARGV[2] or die "I need an new host";

$DBH =  DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:database=$dbname;hostname=$dbhost",
                           $dbuser,
                           $dbpass);

if (not $DBH) { die "Unable to open MythTV database"; }

print "Updating host entry for $fname ('$ohost' -> '$nhost') \n";
$DBH->do("update recorded set hostname='$nhost' WHERE hostname='$ohost'");

This way the master "owns" all recordings regardless of which machine recorded it.