[mythtv-users] multiple TVs from one frontend

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 10:00:03 UTC 2010

2010/9/27 Joey Morris <rjmorris at nc.rr.com>:
> I want to feed Myth to TVs in four rooms of my house. Because I live
> alone and use just one TV at a time, I'm thinking I can get by with a
> single frontend box and a four-way HDMI splitter. Two of the TVs will
> be close enough to the frontend that I could run an HDMI cable
> directly from the splitter to the TV. The other two would probably
> need an HDMI-over-Cat5/6 adaptor.
>
> Does anyone have experience with this type of setup? Is it doable?

absolutely.

> What are the pitfalls to watch out for? Would I be better off with a
> separate frontend box at each TV?

absolutely too, but that is not so much fun ;-)

I had it before and I was in the same situation as you (with two TVs) but
I wanted to use two running mythfrontends at the same time (because
somtimes visitors would use it in the other room). my box was combined
fbackend/frontend. I had two nvidia cards, two sound cards, two remotes.

your situation should be simple as a normal mythfrontend, but there are
still some questions:
1. do you transfer sound through HDMI? if yes you don't need extra
sound cables for every room.
you do not need two sound cards because you are using only one tv
(frontend instance) at the time.
does hdmi splitters work well with splitting sound too? I have no idea.

2. do you need a remote for every room/tv? if not, you can use just a
standard setup. the only
problem is how to get remote signals from every room to. If you get
some kind of RF remote
you should be ok in the whole house. but if use IR you would have to
split the IR receiver cable
to the every tv.

everything else should cause no problems.