[mythtv-users] slightly OT: clear QAM channels in Cambridge, MA

Quinten Steenhuis qsteenhuis at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 20:40:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Dan Wilga
<mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
> On 9/22/10 12:15 PM, Quinten Steenhuis wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 12:24 AM, Jarod Wilson<jarod at wilsonet.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Quinten Steenhuis<qsteenhuis at gmail.com>
>>>  wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, forgot to say it is Comcast.
>>

> Then you're probably SOL. Comcast has gone to requiring a settop box for
> *all* HD in other areas of Massachusetts. This is despite what their web
> site says about the switchover that happened last year, something to the
> effect of, "you will be able to watch any HD channels to which you are
> entitled without additional equipment."

Damn, that's what I was afraid of. What a ripoff to charge us extra to
watch something broadcast over the air for free. It seems they're
deliberately crippling the local-only lineup.

> If all you want is the major networks in HD, then I suggest you try a cheap
> antenna like this one:
>
> http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10901&cs_id=1090102&p_id=4730&seq=1&format=2

Yeah, I guess that's what I'm leaning towards doing. Can I just use a
regular cable splitter to divide this feed then? It's been a long time
since I used an antenna.

Crappy thing is that Comcast's bundling means I'll still end up paying
for the local channels that I'm no-longer using. If I cancel the cable
video, the savings are wiped out by an increase in the cable Internet
service cost.