[mythtv-users] [mythtv] MythBrowser crashing consistently on trunk 26433

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Wed Sep 22 20:01:57 UTC 2010

On 9/22/2010 12:11 PM, George Poulson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just updated to the latest MythBuntu daily builds and am having
> problems with anything MythBrowser-related.
>
> Either selecting 'Web' from the 'Information Centre' menu and opening a
> web bookmark, or selecting an RSS feed and opening the linked page,
> causes the browser to open, to start to load the page, then to crash and
> the entire front-end exits with this in the log...
>
> 2010-09-22 19:51:51.063 MythUIWebBrowser: Loading css from -
> file:///usr/share/mythtv/themes/default/htmls/mythbrowser.css
> (process:3477): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **:
> /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.24.1/gobject/gtype.c:2706: You forgot to call
> g_type_init()
> (process:3477): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion
> `initialization_value != 0' failed
> (process:3477): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion
> `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed
>
> Googling the error string seems to suggest that this is affecting quite
> a few people; certainly since moving from 0.23.1-fixes to trunk
> yesterday I get this.
>
> Frontend version info is..
>
> MythTV Version   : 26433
> MythTV Branch    : trunk
> Network Protocol : 62
> Library API      : 0.23.20100917-1
> QT Version       : 4.6.2
> Options compiled in:
>   linux debug using_alsa using_jack using_oss using_pulse
> using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_dvb
> using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr using_iptv
> using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video
> using_opengl_vsync using_qtdbus using_qtwebkit using_v4l using_x11
> using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmc_vld using_xvmcw
> using_bindings_perl using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vdpau
> using_ffmpeg_threads using_live using_mheg

Moving this to MythTV users where I believe it belongs.

This is likely the bug that exists in some versions of the Adobe Flash
Player plugin. These broken versions of the plugin assume they are being
called by a GTK based application that has already done the necessary
GTK initialization as part of the application. However, since the plugin
can be called by a non-GTK application, this assumption is not valid. In
particular, since WebKit, Qt and MythTV are not GTK based software, none
of them did the initialization on behalf of the plugin.

A workaround was added to WebKit in changeset
<http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/61307>. This commit is not in Qt 4.6's
WebKit but is in Qt 4.7's Webkit.