[mythtv-users] IR Blaster recommendation that will work on ubuntu 10.10

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Sep 22 04:32:07 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Monday, September 20, 2010 11:23:22 pm Oz Dror wrote:
>>   1. I am using the serial version with serial to usb connection.
>>
>> 2. I am talking about a whole distribution upgrade. this means upgrade
>> to mythtv 0.23.1 and all the other upgrades
>>      that comes with ubuntu 10.10
>>
>>  >I think the answer is to solve the freezing problem, at least I have
>>
>> no intention of replacing my own MyBlaster, it just
>>
>>  >works too well.
>>
>> I am not a perl expert, but when I tried to debug it. The freezing occur
>> around line 30, when performing the following command.
>>
>> my $serial=init_serial("/dev/ttyUSB0","19200");
>>
>> This is done during the initialization of the port.  It may be as simple
>> as change of parameter to a library call or a real failure of perl.
>
> I'm wondering if the problem might be the USB adapter. I'm about to leave for a short trip, when I return I'll load 10.10
> onto a test machine and see what I can learn.
>
> I know USB serial adapters have been problematical in the past, but I wouldn't think Ubuntu would go backwards in that
> regard.

Oh, but they would. There's been a slew of USB issues caused by a
single patch in the 2.6.32.x stable tree that, iirc, only just got
fixed in one of the last two or three stable releases. Not sure
exactly what stable series kernel version the currently available
Ubuntu 10.10 kernels are based on. Its a possibility its that at play
here, anyway.

As an aside, it would be nice if other distros would version their
kernels in a meaningful way that actually let you know from nothing
more than uname -r what upstream kernel it was really based on... We
started doing that a few years ago now in Fedora. (I wrote most of the
rpm spec file infra to make it happen, extremely happy w/how its
worked out).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com