[mythtv-users] SSDs and Myth frontends ?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 17 14:05:47 UTC 2010

On Friday, September 17, 2010 07:34:16 am Dan Wilga wrote:
> On 9/17/10 9:26 AM, Dave Richardson wrote:
> > Yeah, well, as I say, Firefox seems to be the only app from Mythbuntu
> > install that lurches - which might be attributed to how Mozilla elected
> > to reference the file system libs, or the nature of browsing (lots of
> > little files), or who knows.  I'm fairly sure my SDD was formatted as
> > EXT3 or EXT4, I didn't change the Mythbuntu 10.04 default OS format.
>
> You might try moving your ~/.mozilla directory into /dev/shm and using a
> symlink in the old location. If this improves the speed, then you know
> that the reason is the per-user cache reads or writes. If it doesn't,
> then it must be the static files that are stored in /usr/share or wherever.

I tried mounting /tmp to RAM, and having FF cache there, as was suggested here (items 2 and 3):

http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/09/04/four-tweaks-for-using-linux-with-solid-state-drives/

It didn't seem to help much, if at all.

It's beginning to look like anything using the 32-bit libs (this is a 64-bit system) is problematical. Anything under
Wine, and things like the Google Voice and Talk plugin (which I believe uses 32-bit code), and Softmaker's Textmaker (also
a 32-bit app) seem to be sluggish, but nowhere near as much as Firefox. This may be just due to heavy lib use, not
inherent to an SSD.

Googling for Firefox and SSD yields a lot of Windows stuff, and a lot of EeePC-related items. The Eee uses a very slow
small, early 4G SSD, which may not be representative of most larger units. I have an Eee in the garage, might drag it out
again and see what I can learn.