[mythtv-users] Lots of mythpreviewgen processes left running on MBE

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 04:22:03 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Tom Lichti <redpepperracing at gmail.com>wrote:

> I am seeing a lot of these processes hanging around on my backend, I'm
> not sure if it is a configuration problem on my side, or a bug:

To give you any useful help on this, you will need to be running a debug
build, and when you find these apparently stuck processes, attach to one
(without sh -c on the front) with gdb and get a backtrace of all threads.

> root       430   429  0 19:30 ?        00:00:00
> /usr/local/bin/mythpreviewgen --size 0x0 --chanid 4051 --starttime
> 20100916190000

Running the backend as root is not exactly a suggested configuration.

> As you can see, some have been there since yesterday. I also find it
> odd that the size is "0x0"

This is irrelevant.  To my knowledge, that will select a default-sized
image.

> Anyone have any thoughts? There is nothing exciting in the backend
> log, other than that it launched the external process. I do see a
> couple of these:
>
> 2010-09-16 20:01:01.564 MainServer, Error: PREVIEW_SUCCESS but no
> receivers.
>
> But not as many as there are processes still running.

Of course not.  That is only logged if the process has actually finished.

To debug this any further, you will need to have a debug build, not release.