[mythtv-users] xorg.conf for fx5200

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Sep 16 21:41:20 UTC 2010

On 09/16/2010 03:48 PM, mike at grounded.net wrote:
> So, brand new install, what is the best way of dealing with this?
> I have read everything everyone has offered but am nervous about doing any one thing which will break the system.
> I have also run nvidia-xconfig and am rebooting the system since I don't know how to restart x.
>
> -->  Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Package: kmod-nvidia-173xx-2.6.32.21-166.fc12.i686-173.14.27-1.fc12.2.i686 (rpmfusion-nonfree-updates)
>             Requires: kernel-uname-r = 2.6.32.21-166.fc12.i686
>             Installed: kernel-2.6.32.11-99.fc12.i686 (installed)

This problem arises from the fact that rpmfusion only has a version of
the nvidia driver that you need, for the newest kernel.

Run
yum update kernel

which will update ONLY the kernel to 2.6.32.21.166
reboot then run
yum install kmod-nvidia-173xx*

that should work. Then reboot to get the nvidia video.

Only then should you run  yum update

Regarding the script I pointed you to. You do not need to run that
script. It contains lines which populate the /etc/ld.so.conf file.
You should have those lines in your file.
If not, cut and paste a copy of those 10 or 12 lines into a file and run
them, or just use them as a basis for editing your file.

Looks like you are making progress, although it is obvious that you are
being pushed into waters which your personal map has marked, in large
letters "Unknown: here be Dragons"!

That is,you are learning all sorts of stuff you had no idea you would
need to learn. And to be sure, it really is unclear why this has
happened at all!

Geoff
--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury