[mythtv-users] xorg.conf for fx5200

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 16:03:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 10:51 AM, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:
>> For the time involved you should start again.
>
> I agree and have done just that, waiting on it now and will work on this on and off as I do my other work today.
> I went with the 12.x DVD installer.
>
>> If you are not using rpmfusion or atrpms to install the nvidia driver,
>> then as soon as the main fedora install is done, add 'blacklist nouveau'
>> to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file, and install the nvidia
>> driver from the bin file. If using the .bin file, do this *before* doing
>> your 'yum update' pass. When installing the new kernel, the installer is
>> smart enough to build the new boot image to use the nvidia driver.
>
> This time, I left the card in the system when installing and picked the available nvidia legacy 5x drivers.
> Should I still add what you suggest above?
>
>> yum install nvidia-graphics-legacy-173*
>
> This seemed to go fine when I got the drivers file from nvidia, it's just that the lib could never be seen for some reason.
>
>> About one quarter of the way down on that script is a section which
>> writes a number of lines into /etc/ld.so.conf.
>
> Again, should I run this script you point me to even after a DVD install? I didn't go with source. I could if that would be best.

I would recommend just what he said.  Blacklist nouveau, install
nvidia from repo if possible.  That will setup the glx properly, etc
and not cause conflicts down the road when system libraries get
updated.

After nvidia is working properly (you can run nvidia-setings and
nvidia's opengl is active), then run a find on your system and look
for vdpau libraries.  Check them all to see if they are symlinks, and
if so, run yum whatprovides against them to see what installed them.
You should want the redhat packaged libvdpau installed.  If none are
installed - even better - install mythtv now, and it should pull it in
automatically for you.

If it is already installed, when you begin to install mythtv, make
sure it is not installing another libvdpau from the repos.

It should just work at that point.