[mythtv-users] New Sandy Bridge Chips......Intel on chip GPU capable of VDPAU performance?

mike mikpolniak at roadrunner.com
Tue Sep 14 15:55:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 07:58:57 -0700
Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 7:02 AM, mike <mikpolniak at roadrunner.com>
> wrote:

> > Sandy Bridge has cpu and graphics on single 32nm single die (65
> > watts TDP) while the i3-530 Clarkdale has 2 dies: 32nm cpu
> >  alongside 45nm graphics processor (73 watts TDP).
> >
> > As far as my mythtv backend-frontend usage, Sandy Bridge will use a
> > few watts less but probably cost more and perform the same.
> >

> Still, I've been pretty impressed with the processing power and
> strictly speaking this is a Linux issue because the machine is very
> stable in Windows so I'm sure it will get worked out _someday_.

The linux intel-gfx driver development list is very active, in fact
they have already started adding support for Sandy Bridge graphics.

I am using kernel-2.6.35 and the only intel driver issue i had was some
tearing, but i solved that. As i said, HD video looks as good as on
my Nvidia 9500 and uses less power than my previous AMD/Nvidia backend.