[mythtv-users] TiVo Slide Remote, Linux and Scan Codes

Wayne Thomas waynethomas69 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 06:33:05 UTC 2010

>> I'm seeing single pressed keys going double on myth.

I've never seen that with devinput before but have you tried
increasing repeat in your lircrc file?

> successfully paired and connected. When it goes to sleep, it
> disconnects and the device disappears. I'd neglected to consider that
> when suggesting lirc might be usable with it... lircd is okay with
> /dev/lircX devices coming and going, notsomuch with devinput devices,

I didn't realise that; one possible workaround is to use upstart to
stop lircd when the device disappears and start it again when it
appears.  I haven't played with upstart much so don't know the exact
event type used (mounted?) but that is part of what it is supposed to
do.  It would need to stop and start irexec and irxevnet if you use
them too.  I would also recommend using /dev/input/by-id/*** since the
actual event number is going to change on a regular basis.  Does udev
create a by-id link for this remote?

> Another big gotcha is that if you're snarfing all the keys
> up in lirc, the keyboard no longer works like a plain keyboard,
> everything has to go through lircd (I believe).

Ouch, I had assumed (wrongly) that this was like so many other HID
remotes that use two seperate devices.  One possilbe solution (but
slightly labour intensive) would be to make the worlds biggest
~/lircrc for every single key with something like the below example
for each one:

begin
        prog = irxevent
        button = KEY_A
        config = Key A Focus
end

Provided you don't intend on trying to use the remote as a keyboard
for everything this could be made into a functional solution.  I'm not
sure how it would deal with key combinations like CTRL+L but I'm sure
you could get it doing everything you need (although probably not that
elegant) for MythTV.

Cheers
Wayne