[mythtv-users] Still no sound in MythTV with WinTV-HVR 950Q

Adam Jimerson vendion at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 03:18:58 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 10:39 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org>wrote:

> On 09/10/2010 03:13 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Adam Jimerson<vendion at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>  That would be hard I have no recordings because this is my first time
>>> setting up mythtv.
>>>
>>>  In that case, you should use some kind of sample file from somewhere,
>> perhaps Hauppauge or Silicon Dust have some.  Just something to confirm
>> that
>> you can do playback with "mythavtest" and get sound.  You want to isolate
>> if
>> your problem is playback or recording in Myth.
>>
>> Kevin
>>

> Kevin is right. You probably can find some short files at
> /usr/share/sounds/alsa on your system.
> I would first check the settings on alsamixer..turn ON everything and turn
> everything UP. My laptop, for whatever reason, NEVER keeps saves and
> restores its settings. I have to unmute the speaker and raise the PCM level
> EVERY time I boot. My desktop and the mythbox do not have that
> problem...Basic but an easily overlooked item. You *may* have set them
> correctly, but you need to verify that they are still correct.
>
> Next use aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav to see that you
> actually have some output, outside of myth.
>
> Then try mplayer to play a video file, or even an audio track. If you
> really don't have anything to play you could rip one of your DVD's, to
> create a file you can test with.
>
> If those work, then it is clearly a myth settings problem and
> notwithstanding your problems, should be relatively simple to fix since
> there are only so many combinations of settings.
>
> HTH
> Geoff

As I said in my last email I tested with two AVI files, both had audio
(although in one only the music and sound effects were audible does not
happen in any other media player).  In alsamixer all my channels are enabled
except for my HDMI, using the open source Radeon driver it doesn't work
anyways, and the volume on all channels is up all the way.