[mythtv-users] Do GeForce GT220s run hot? Was rebooting my system on anything above VDAPUA slim.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Sep 9 23:16:55 UTC 2010

On Thursday, September 09, 2010 05:01:05 pm Gabe Rubin wrote:

> So I determined that my card runs at 54 when idle.  It runs as hot as
> 96 when under load (VDPAU high quality playing a 1080i mpeg2 firewire
> capture)
>
> This seems excessively hot.  Fortunately, it does not affect the
> motherboard speeds.
>
> My question is would a 220 with 512 megs of ram run cooler and should
> I be concerned about this heat aside from the fact that life of the
> card will probably be short?  Would replacing the 3 case fans with
> something more efficient be advisable?

Not sure what you mean by "efficient", normally that would mean moving the same amount of air with less power, or moving
more air with the same power, as well as how efficient the motor is, in other words how much of the energy input moves air
and how much is turned into heat.

But, using fans that move more air, without regard to how "efficiently" they do so, can't hurt. The more heat you can remove
from the case interior the better.

Just adding more fans is not the whole matter though, the case has to have a good design, with careful thought to the
airflow inside it. Just adding fans willy-nilly might even make things worse. I've seen systems put together by amateurs
where one fan was fighting another, kind of an isometric exercise in sucking up power and doing nothing.