[mythtv-users] Advice on small FE, please

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 04:43:53 UTC 2010

> Or would it be better to build a mini-itx (or slightly bigger)system with better video improved cooling etc.

If you do go this route, choose your case carefully. I still have heat
issues with my mini-ITX case, requiring two small fans that aren't
nearly as quiet as I would like.

> 2. Are there any small UpNP media players, now available  that could do the job? Or any major limitations with UpNP that
> would make it unsuitable in this scenario.

Well the issue with a UPnP FE is Myth-specific features like
scheduling new shows; you'd need to resort to a PC/VM to run the FE
occasionally or use MythWeb to do such things. I'm also not sure if
you can delete a recording from a UPnP FE, something you might wish to
do fairly often (say, after watching each one ;) ). This is where
something like a NMT/PopcornHour which can play shows off an SMB/NFS
share may offer a better experience due to limitations of the UPnP
protocol.

Also, you may miss such features as timestretch and possibly CC
support if you use a non-Myth FE.