[mythtv-users] Who's going to be the first?

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Sat Sep 4 09:40:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:39 PM, MacNean Tyrrell <dardack at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has the spec's been released yet for what's inside?  I have the original
> AppleTV i got on clearance for $60.00.  Makes a nice FE in the bedroom for
> SD TV content.  I am hoping the CrystalHD proves to be all I need to add to
> it for HD/h.264 movies I have encoded.  Just wish it had a new nvidia then
> it wouldn't need the crystalHD.  So was wonderiing if the new ATV has a gpu
> inside or some other chip it's using for dedicated decoding of content.

AppleTV has Apple's A4 processor, same as latest iPhone(s) and
iPad.[1]  A4 has a PowerVR SGX535 GPU, just like the Intel GMA500.[2]
So if Myth ever supports VA API, and VA API ever gets GMA500
acceleration sorted out, then maybe we'll not only get all of Apple's
small products, but also Google TV:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/25/google-tv-utilizes-same-sgx535-graphics-processor-found-in-ipad-and-iphone-3gs/

   Marc

[1] http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html