[mythtv-users] Error upgrading database schema from 1214 to 1215

Will C dontspamme at will.is-a-geek.org
Sat Sep 4 08:23:08 UTC 2010

> After the upgrade, mythtv-backend and mythtv-setup both fail while trying
> to upgrade the database schema from version 1214 to 1254. It appears that
> the failure occurs in the first incremental upgrade, from 1214 to 1215.
> Here is the output of mythtv-setup:

I have solved this. It turned out to be very stupid, and neither a software
bug nor a database corruption issue, but rather a system configuration
problem. My /tmp directory was filling up during the part of the 1215 ->
1216 schema upgrade where it "tested" the database for character set
related corruption.

The only way I figured this out was going to the source code and piecing
together the SQL commands that myth was trying to execute, then manually
trying those same commands and seeing where they failed. As soon as I saw
the actual mysql error message, I realized what the culprit was. For some
stupid reason, the /tmp directory on this system was a small tmpfs. I got
rid of that and everything worked fine.

Myth 0.23.1 now appears to be running smoothly on my system.