[mythtv-users] mythbackend crashes every 6-7 hours

Rob Verduijn rob.verduijn at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 21:58:20 UTC 2010

I'm still not convinced it's worth the hassle of setting up a stress
test and risking the wrath of the family.

There aren't any weird messages in the message log except  "terminate
called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc' "
Applied google to this and I get dozens of hits about memory problems
due to bad allocation of memory.....doh.....
Not a single hit is about faulty hardware.

Watching top for a while shows me the mythbackend process chewing up
more and more memory doing nothing but waiting for a client to
connect.
(there were none while I watched it)

So there are no weird entries except the one mentioned before.
I saw Mythbackend using 2Gb of ram and while I watched I saw it
increase it's memory usage to 2.1Gb
Mythbackend was idle at that time, no recordings we're active, there
were also no clients active.

I have no indication that this should be hardware related.

Rob Verduijn