[mythtv-users] 0.23-fixes, mythshutdown --status returncode 254

cvb at kruemel.org cvb at kruemel.org
Sat Oct 30 08:41:55 UTC 2010

 Since ages (0.21), I am running a daily script via cron to restart
 mythtv, as otherwise it has the tendency to become unresponsive after
 some time. I am running mythtv under ubuntu 10.04.1, and about a week
 ago switched from mythtv 0.23 (as in the ubuntu repositories) to
 0.23-fixes [26863].

 Interestingly, I am now running into issues with my script: The script
 is running mythshutdown --status, checking the return code, and based on
 that either shuts down and restarts mythtv, or waits some time (a few
 minutes) and then tries mythshutdown --status again.

 When I start this script (as root/with sudo) from a terminal, it still
 runs fine. If the script is launched via a link in /etc/cron.daily,
 mythshutdown --status keeps returning 254, which is not listed in
 http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythshutdown and which appears to be
 unaffected by what mythtv is actually doing. The error message printed
 on the screen is "mythshutdown: Could not initialize myth context.
 Exiting."

 I tried to adjust /etc/sudoers, as suggested here:
 http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2008-February/211699.html
 /etc/sudoers now contains (inter alia):

 Defaults	env_reset
 Defaults	env_keep="HOME"

 But that didn't help. The error keeps popping up when started from cron
 - even when I set HOME specifically to "/root".

 So I suppose that HOME is not the only issue...?

 Thanks, Christian