[mythtv-users] Mythtv & Roku (was: Yet More Internet TV Choices)

Ajay Sharma ajayrockrock at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 23:55:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> Don't know yet, but transcoding everything to h264 seems like a fly in the ointment. The only h264 material I have online
> is HD-PVR recordings, which I do want to see if the Roku can handle, but most of what I have is mpeg2 SD recordings from
> PVR-x50s, MPEG2 files from an HDHR, and the rest are HD-PVR generated h264 HD files.

Transcoding everything is going to be a real drag.  But I'm planning
on upgrading to an HD-PVR soon and was hoping that I can make all my
recordings h264 going forward.

> My Myka ($89) can handle any video I have tossed at it (though it has problems with some DTS audio). It can play files from
> Myth via UPnP, or from any NFS or Samba share. I think this is a better "frontend payer" solution than the Roku, since it
> doesn't require transcoding anything, installing anything on anything, and no script required to be installed on the
> server.

The only real limitation is that you don't get Netflix.  Obviously,
not a problem for some.

The Roku code is still a little buggy.  If you telnet to the roku box
you can see the mythtv application crash.  And I still haven't been
able to play *any* content on the roku box yet.  Something tells me
that I'm not transcoding the files correctly...

--Ajay