[mythtv-users] Mythtv & Roku (was: Yet More Internet TV Choices)

Ajay Sharma ajayrockrock at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 19:09:30 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Monday, October 25, 2010 05:17:06 pm Ajay Sharma wrote:
>
>> I feel silly, I just googled, "roku mythtv" and the first hit was
>> Myth's own wiki:
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ROKU_HD_Frontend
>>
>> I feel better knowing that that page just showed up a couple of months
>> ago.  I know I searched for it a few months ago and found nothing.
>> I'm super excited and will be busy this evening setting this up!!
>
> I'd missed that as well, but it doesn't sound like he has a full frontend running, though it's certainly a good start. I
> think he accurately described it as a "frontend player", thus making it more or less like any UPnP player (though not
> using UPnP).

Yes, he didn't hack the roku to install a full functioning frontend
which I'm fine with since in my household a full mythfrontend might be
too much for some.  But the extremely simple roku interface is just
their speed.

> I ordered the Roku box for a family member, who just wants to watch Netflix, but since it will pass through my hands I'll
> try and see what I can learn about it.

Did you try it out yet?

I got the app installed on my roku box and the php script installed on
the server (with a little hacking, there are some minor bugs when it
comes to generating the thumbnails).  Converting my mpeg2 videos into
h264 has been a very time consuming process since I have a super old
backend machine.  Just was curious if you faired any better.

--Ajay