[mythtv-users] OT: How can I disable Thermal Throttling on a Pentium4

Anthony Giggins seven at seven.dorksville.net
Wed Oct 27 05:16:41 UTC 2010

On 27 October 2010 14:12, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:

> On 10/26/2010 23:03, Anthony Giggins wrote:
>
>> http://seven.dorksville.net/gallery/v/Misc+Photos/temp1.png.html
>>
>> Looks to me the threshold is about 70 C but it seems to max out at 92 C in
>> the last month, 90 seems excessive but 70 doesn't sound too bad, how can I
>> adjust the thresholds?
>>

> Any time you hit full CPU load for any extended period, your processor
> overheats.  It spikes up over 90C and starts throttling itself.  You need to
> get those temperatures down.  Clean out and re-seat your existing heatsink.
>  Buy more case fans to keep the ambient temperature down.  Buy a new,
> better, aftermarket heatsink.  Buy a modern processor and throw that P4
> away.
>
> You need to do something physical.  Changing settings in software isn't
> going to do a damn bit of good.

The Motherboard and Ambient temp sensors average around 45C, theres
currently 2 Case fans and a 3rd extraction fan on the back of the
entertainment unit.

I'll try reapplying the thermal paste and reseating the heatsink and failing
that I'll look at getting an aftermarket heatsink and possibly some more
fans at the front of the Silverstone LC-16M case

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Cheers,

Anthony