[mythtv-users] DisplaySize = Full ?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 04:22:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 12:23 PM, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:
>> It does. It stores your recordings in digital form. This form is governed:
>
> I just know I'll get in trouble again but I'll try and explain :).
>
>>unless you tell myth to transcode along the way.
>
> The video either comes in digitally or through a capture card such as the pvr-500 and is encapsulated as mpeg.
> So if I wanted a specific format, I could transcode into what ever I wanted then.
>
> My original hope was that I could take multiple inputs from various sources, having some of them going through one or more myth boxes for it's pvr functions, with the end result being all of the streams over IP.

Well I asume you are talking about rtp or rtsp or something similar,
ie your own in house iptv server. Possible to add stuff to myth to do
that, but it's not part of the standard mythtv stuff.

>> In any event you end up with a digital stream. That digital stream is
>> sent to the frontend, over the network. So the backend outputs what it
>> is given - unless you tell myth to transcode along the way.
>
> I know I can do this using FE's on each TV but the reason I wanted say H.264 for example, was because I was interested in the low to high bit streaming aspect as well.

What do you mean "low to high bitstreaming".

> So for example, I might be able to watch something on a TV but I could also go to any PC and watch the same media.

Any PC can act as a front end. However simultaneous viewing on more
than one frontend is not supoprted, nor even that useful 9how many
rooms can you be in at once? - also which frontend controls pausing,
rewinding etc?) Also getting things to actually synchronise is very
difficult due to delays inherent in the processing on each machine. A
few milliseconds can make an awfully annoying echo.

> If I wanted to view a local camera, I could VPN into the network and do that as well.

Nothing to stop you but it's not a function of myth (excepting
mythzoneminder of course)

>Or if I wanted to share something on one of my FTA receivers with a friend over the net, I could do that as well.

That's probably illegal!