[mythtv-users] OT: How can I disable Thermal Throttling, on a Pentium4

Keith Pyle kpyle at austin.rr.com
Wed Oct 27 02:37:17 UTC 2010

  On 10/26/10 20:48, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:35:02, Brian Wood wrote:

>> >  This appears to be a different problem.  This looks like your CPU is
>> >  overheating.
> That, or the threshold is set too low.
>
> But I agree it sounds like the system is doing what it is supposed to do, slowing the clock to protect the CPU from over-
> heating.
>
> Check the usual suspects, make sure the heatsink is well bonded to the CPU (thermal grease is properly applied), make sure
> the CPU fan is running, there are no serious obstructions to airflow in the case etc.

If you have lm_sensors installed and configured, run the sensors command
to display your CPU temperatures both when the CPU is behaving normally
and throttled.  This should give you an idea of the temperatures and the
change.

You didn't say which Pentium 4 you have (there were many versions).
Assuming a Prescott class design, the maximum T(c) is probably between
69 and 73 C (taken from table 27 of Intel's datasheet "Intel Pentium 4
Processor on 90 nm Process").  Intel's site has a good stock of
datasheets and you can find the limits for your CPU with a little searching.

Brian's suggestions are good.  If you haven't cleaned the computer
recently, take it outside, open the covers, and use dry compressed air
to blow dust out of the CPU heatsink (and off of other components).
Dust bunnies love to nest inside nice warm computers.

Keith