[mythtv-users] How to patch LIRC for HD-PVR150

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Oct 27 00:40:35 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Jeff Cranmer <jeff at lotussevencars.com> wrote:

>> > Hmm - the gentoo guys must be a little behind with their releases.  The
>> > latest one in the portage tree is 0.8.7-pre1
>> > http://www.gentoo-portage.com/app-misc/lirc
>>
>> Yeah, just a wee bit behind, pre1 was released in May, pre2 in July, pre3 in August and the actual release in early September. And 0.9.0-pre1 will be out RSN.
>>
> Even more behind.  I have a staging area with a bunch of options in it,
> but lirc is not one of them.  It looks like the present gentoo kernel
> hasn't incorporated the lirc drivers.

Yeah, I was trying to get at that. :)

>> > So, if lirc 0.8.7 won't work with the kernel bits, what is the best
>> > solution?  Is downgrading to 0.8.6-r3 an option?
>>
>> Nope, need to go the other direction. lirc 0.9.0-pre1 will be out Real Soon Now. (Fedora 14 and Ubuntu 10.10 both ship a patched lirc 0.8.7 that also works).
>>

> Hmm - so without the lirc 0.9.0 code, I'm SOL with the built-in IR
> transmitter of the HDPVR, even if I was able to build in the kernel
> options.

Well, there are patches around to use/build lirc_zilog with a 0.8.7
source base... However, I think you may still need to patch the hdpvr
driver source too. And you'd need to do that with 2.6.36 as well. Not
to mention that some folks have had instability using the hdpvr
transmitter.

> Since I'm basically an impatient person, and waiting for gentoo looks
> like a long process, can you recommend a good IR transmitter solution
> that isn't quite so bleeding-edge, and would work with this Kernel?

Anything driven by the mceusb driver.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com