[mythtv-users] DisplaySize = Full ?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Oct 26 14:58:20 UTC 2010

Nick Rout wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 3:18 PM, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:
>
>> Depending on where I go with myth, I might put STB's on the TV's I want
>> better quality on.
>
> I am not sure what STB's you are referring to. What you need is a frontend at
> each TV. Your setup should only use STB's if that is the only method you have
> of getting an unencrypted signal, but I think from another thread you are
> stuck with an STB because you have encrypted satellite to contend with.
>
> (STB)<-analogue->(Backend)<-network->(frontend)<-->TV (STB2)<--analog-->(
> )<-network->(frontend2)<-->TV2
>
> That is the ideal setup, I have found some of your earlier posts difficult to
> follow because you seemed to be contemplating some other architecture
> involving STB's all over the house. You can have as many STB's and as many
> frontends as your heart desires, bearing in mind you reach a point where your
> network and/or your disk IO gives up the ghost.

Gah, terminology fail here. /Mike/ is referring to a box which takes his
programming and puts it on the TV. /Nick/ is referring to a box which takes
cable or satellite and turns it into myth-readable streams.

For Mike's benefit: an STB (set-top-box) is what your cable or satellite
supplier gives you. That's what they call them. Because of this we do not use
the term for any box which runs myth, front- or back- end. We simply call these
frontends or, possible backends where the FE and BE are combined in the same box.

--

Mike Perkins