Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Tue Oct 26 03:26:45 UTC 2010

On 26/10/2010 00:34, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 21:20:35 +0100
> From: Jason Chambers<lists at purplish-monkey.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Problem with Ubuntu upgrade
> To:mythtv-users at mythtv.org

>> >  This results in:
>> >  ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using
>> >  password: YES)
> Hmm, you've previously ran this command before and it was successful
> (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/457092#457092).
>
> Have you been making other changes that you haven't posted about?  Or
> changed something, then you reversed the change out again afterwards but
> maybe didn't get it right? Or maybe re-keyed the above command and made
> a typo?
>
> (Sorry don't mean to sound accusing here - just don't want to go chasing
> something that may not be relevant).

>> >  This too results in
>> >  ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using
>> >  password: YES)
>> >
>> >  I tried both my root password and my mythtv password (which worked fine
>> >  in MythtV until the Ubuntu upgrade) for both.
> The user name your using here is mythtv.  So the password is the mythtv
> user's password, not the root password.  Also unless you've changed the
> password again since you posted the user table contents in your previous
> emails the password is "mythtv".
I'm very confused now!
I've just got into into:

mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg

By using, not my root password, not my mythtv users password, but by
using 'mythtv' it's self as a password. I've never set 'mythtv' as a
password. What's going on?

> <snip>
>
>> >  Here's the output:
>> >
>> >  http://www.gingermagic.com/misc/mythhelp.txt
>> >
> <quoting from url>
>
>> >  192.168.0.2	MythBox	# Added by NetworkManager
>> >  127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost
>> >  ::1	MythBox	localhost6.localdomain6	localhost6
>> >  127.0.1.1	MythBox
>> >  ::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
I swapped an email with Bill how pointed out that I'd run his script
without editing the password in the script!! Here's the real output:

http://www.gingermagic.com/misc/myth2.txt

> That shows your /etc/hosts file has MythBox resolving to both 127.0.0.1
> and its external IP address of 192.168.0.2.
>
> This can cause all sorts of confusion as its not guaranteed which one
> MythBox will be resolved to.
>
> Please remove the "127.0.1.1	MythBox" line, restart mysql (as it may
> cache the lookups) and try connecting again:
How do I do that?
> $ mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg
I can log in using 'mythtv' as the password!?!?!

+-----------+------------------+-------------------------------------------+-------------+
| host      | user             | password    | select_priv |
+-----------+------------------+-------------------------------------------+-------------+
| localhost | root             |
*62342D54FD9B128B41AF87CC8133ECDC8D8D3EA3 | Y           |
| MythBox   | root             |    | Y           |
| 127.0.0.1 | root             |    | Y           |
| localhost |                  |    | N           |
| localhost | debian-sys-maint |
*E70FD7D9D21BEC5D5D6800B84C6C8DBE602A1195 | Y           |
| localhost | mythtv           |
*CC8F35F587CA5A556B4132C2407E556D92172FFC | Y           |
| %         | mythtv           |
*CC8F35F587CA5A556B4132C2407E556D92172FFC | Y           |
| localhost | torrentflux      |
*58AD98AB94E879529879F11472FC0B07B311264D | N           |
+-----------+------------------+-------------------------------------------+-------------+
8 rows in set (0.00 sec)

> and
>
> mysql>SELECT host, db, user, select_priv FROM db;
mysql> SELECT host, db, user, select_priv FROM db;
+-----------+-------------+-------------+-------------+
| host      | db          | user        | select_priv |
+-----------+-------------+-------------+-------------+
| %         | test        |             | Y           |
| %         | test\_%     |             | Y           |
| localhost | mythconverg | mythtv      | Y           |
| %         | mythconverg | mythtv      | Y           |
| localhost | torrentflux | torrentflux | Y           |
+-----------+-------------+-------------+-------------+
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

> --
> Regards, Jason
I don't know what's going on, but my brain is hurting.
I could well have changed files I shouldn't have changed or not changed
something back properly. I don't know any more. The one thing I do know
is that I have never set a password for anything ever that was 'mythtv'.
I use KeePass to generate secure passwords for everything I use. Has the
Ubuntu upgrade done something stupid like that?

It's 4.20am here now. Need some sleep.

Thanks for everyone's help.
I may look at backing up the database, getting rid of everything and
hoping that I can restore the recordings of family footage and my tv
work. This system is starting to feel too messed up.

Damian