[mythtv-users] DisplaySize = Full ?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 02:51:26 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 3:18 PM, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:
>> Have you read the nvidia readme?
>> Heres the start of Chapter 15 on mine:
>> Chapter 15. Configuring Multiple X Screens on One Card
>
> Not since I rebuilt. I did test to see if my HDMI port was active by connecting it and it's not. I thought maybe if I rebooted the myth box while connected to HDMI that this output would come alive but it didn't.
>
>> GPUs that support TwinView (Chapter 13) can also be configured to treat each
>> connected display device as a separate X screen.
>
> You would think so, just like having multiple monitors connected to a PC, so long as there is enough memory on the card.
> Gotta do some more reading I guess. I'd like to know if there's some way of knowing if a port (video card output such as HDMI) is active or not from the command line. Connecting it to the TV didn't output any video.

Some outputs aren't turned on unless the card detectes a "monitor" (by
which I mean a display device, SDTV, monitor, HDTV etc) plugged in at
boot time. Also settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf might restrict X to
what monitors it starts on.

The tool we were referring to is called nvidia-settings, you can run
it from a terminal if you can't figure out which little gimpy icon it
is in the menus :) Simply run a terminal on your X screen and type
nvidia-settings, the programme should then run. It helps a lot in
setting up twinview, multiple X etc etc.

> You mean using the modulators?
> TV has been moved about by RF cable for ages, can't say it's terrible, looks quite nice and suits the purpose.
> When we want higher quality, we head for the living room.
> Depending on where I go with myth, I might put STB's on the TV's I want better quality on.

Well in the hierarchy of quality it is at the bottom:

RF
composite
s-video

then you are into component and digital connections like HDMI. The
first three will only do SD, the others will do higher, up to 1080p.

I am not sure what STB's you are referring to. What you need is a
frontend at each TV. Your setup should only use STB's if that is the
only method you have of getting an unencrypted signal, but I think
from another thread you are stuck with an STB because you have
encrypted satellite to contend with.

(STB)<-analogue->(Backend)<-network->(frontend)<-->TV
(STB2)<--analog-->(               )<-network->(frontend2)<-->TV2

That is the ideal setup, I have found some of your earlier posts
difficult to follow because you seemed to be contemplating some other
architecture involving STB's all over the house. You can have as many
STB's and as many frontends as your heart desires, bearing in mind you
reach a point where your network and/or your disk IO gives up the
ghost.