[mythtv-users] Adding a second DVB-S2 card - how to configure channels & EPG?

George Poulson george.poulson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 13:33:26 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I currently have a single 0.24-fixes backend with a single Hauppauge Nova-S2
card and multiple front-ends. I am in the UK.

I want to add a second DVB-S2 tuner card (cabled to the same quad-port LNB)
to my backend to give me the ability to record simultaneous programmes
across different multiplexes.

I currently use the UK Radio Times xmltv EPG and want to continue to use
this once the new card is installed.

My question is: can I add a 'second set' of exactly the same channels, with
identical programme data, on the second card and let MythTV decide which
card to use based only on the channels that I want to record? - or must I
'split' my channels manually across the two cards (say: BBC1 on tuner 1, ITV
on tuner 2, etc. etc.) so that Myth knows that if I want to record BBC1 it
has to use tuner 1?

If I have to assign the channels manually how can I choose them so as to
give me the ability to record the maximum number of simultaneous channels
(given that some of my channels share multiplexes)?

Cheers,
George