[mythtv-users] rescanning for channels on DVB

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 00:13:14 UTC 2010

On 24 October 2010 19:10, Lasse Knudsen <lasse.h.knudsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> im wondering if there is a way to scan for channels easily, when my
> provider again shuffles them all around again?
>
> I know what channels i have a subcription to, but thats a mere
> fraction of the channels that are being broadcast on, so what i would
> like to do is being able to scan for the channels i want from a
> "white" list, and then import them. whithout myth finding a million
> other channels for me that i have to deal with. If this could include
> the xmltv id in the same go that would be perfect.
>
> im not sure i make sense :)

Sounds like just what I do here (UK) for Freesat (DVB-S) with a script
of SQL commands. It took a while to create the initial script and
requires periodic maintenance to identify channels that have been
renamed or have changed serviceid, but it does the job in a couple of
seconds.

I carry out a full scan in mythtv-setup to identify all channels, and
then use the script to:

i) hide and disable useonairguide for all channels on that source
ii) selectively enable channels I want to use, based on DVB name
and/or service ID
iii) enable useonairguide (for EIT listings) or populate the XMLTVID
for these channels
iv) provide a valid channel icon path
v) renumber the channels to something more friendly (usually the
Freesat EPG numbering)

I'm hoping that XMLTV (when paired with MythTV) will eventually
support most of what you want if your grabber supports the lineups
feature (still in development), but at the moment a suitable script
should automate things nicely.

Cheers,
Nick

--