[mythtv-users] DisplaySize = Full ?

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 11:39:18 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 2:14 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> There's only one card in the system for video output which is the nvidia.
>>> I use a scan converter on the VGA side and the card has an HDMI port.
>>> On the vga side, there's not much requirement other than setting it to what ever standard composite is usually set to.
>>> When using the HDMI port, I may sometimes want to switch between resolutions.
>>>

>> sorry i misread your last post, one card two outputs, gotcha. Comes of
>> trying to cook at the same time, kick the dog out of the kitchen and
>> converse with an 11 year old dyspraxic whilst listening to my in house
>> jazz singer emulate tom waits.

>>> I won't have two cards, can't anyhow, not enough slots in the box I'm using.
>>>

>> Have you read the nvidia readme?
>>
>> Heres the start of Chapter 15 on mine:
>>
>> Chapter 15. Configuring Multiple X Screens on One Card
>> ______________________________________________________________________________
>>
>> GPUs that support TwinView (Chapter 13) can also be configured to treat each
>> connected display device as a separate X screen.
>>
>> While there are several disadvantages to this approach as compared to TwinView
>> (e.g.: windows cannot be dragged between X screens, hardware accelerated
>> OpenGL cannot span the two X screens), it does offer several advantages over
>> TwinView:
>>
>>   o If each display device is a separate X screen, then properties that may
>>     vary between X screens may vary between displays (e.g.: depth, root
>>     window size, etc).
>>
>>   o Hardware that can only be used on one display at a time (e.g.: video
>>     overlays, hardware accelerated RGB overlays), and which consequently
>>     cannot be used at all when in TwinView, can be exposed on the first X
>>     screen when each display is a separate X screen.
>>
>> --=----------------------------
>> The readme should be included in the packaging by your distro for the
>> nvidia drivers.
>
> I should also say that distributing your SD video by your suggested
> method will give the worst possible result in terms of quality.

Another plus to having an nvidia card (other than vdpau) is their
nvidia-settings program.  It will easily configure both outputs of the
card for you and save everything so it survives a reboot.  The newest
xorgs do this also if you have a proper driver, but nvidia has been
doing it for quite a while.

If SD TV was a requirement, we might have recommended something other
that a gt220..  Something with an analog output on the card would
probably be better suited here, but vga -> converter is fine.  It will
work.