[mythtv-users] Ion/ion 2 + HD audio in .24

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 06:42:09 UTC 2010

Hi

On 23 October 2010 17:25, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com> wrote:
> Myth decodes all those to lpcm, so even if myth DID support
> passthrough I'd see no enhancement in quality, right?

well, it's not actually myth that doesn't support HD passthrough, I
don't know of a system on linux supporting it yet, it's also a
hardware issue.

In theory, there could be differences. EAC3 or DTS-HD aren't limited
to 8 channels. Dolby also supports things like "sound elevation" which
would be lost during LPCM conversion.

In practice, it will be inaudible, and you'll only see 7.1 audio tracks.