[mythtv-users] Mac Mini as Frontend?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Oct 22 13:19:58 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 02:12:46PM -0400, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 10/21/2010 13:38, Brian Wood wrote:
> >>You're still stuck with that garbage GMA950.  You won't be able to run
> >>the OpenGL painter or renderer, which are heavily recommended over Xv.
> >There are still plenty of ION options available for far less than even the refurbed Minis, but the Minis have a nice form factor, an optical drive and are quiet.
>
> And have a meaningful processor behind them in the event VDPAU
> doesn't support what you're trying to play.

    The main problem here is Flash and that's a big problem. It might be too
big of a problem for whatever CPU you happen to have. If you have a Mac with
a return policy, you might want to sort this out straight away so that you
are not stuck with the box if it doesn't work out.

    Unaccelerated h264 seems to be the big headache.