[mythtv-users] Problem with Ubuntu upgrade

Jason Chambers lists at purplish-monkey.com
Fri Oct 22 12:10:47 UTC 2010

On 22/10/2010 12:51, Damian wrote:
>> Firstly you say you can connect as root.  So run this to see the user
>> set-up:
>>
>> $ mysql -u root -p mysql
>> mysql>  SELECT host, user, password FROM user;
>>
>> If the (encrypted) passwords for the two mythtv entries are*different*
>> then something went wrong with the password change.
>
> They are the same.

OK so the password was changed successfully - it is now definitely the
same as the password you use when connecting locally.

> Here's the output:
> mysql> SELECT host, user, password FROM user;
> +-----------+------------------+-------------------------------------------+
>
> | host      | user             |
> password                                  |
> +-----------+------------------+-------------------------------------------+
>
> | localhost | root             |
> *62342D54FD9B128B41AF871C8133ECDC8D8D3EA3 |
> | MythBox   | root
> |                                           |
> | 127.0.0.1 | root
> |                                           |
> | localhost |
> |                                           |
> | MythBox   |
> |                                           |

Ah, that "MythBox" entry with no value in the user column is an
anonymous user connection.  MySQL connections match the most specific
hostname *first* so when your trying to connect its matching the
anonymous user from MythBox, rather than the 'mythtv'@'%' entry that the
permissions are set-up for.

(See 5.4.4 of the MySQL Reference Manual,
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/connection-access.html)

As you do not seem to know MySQL very well, I doubt that you have set-up
MySQL this way deliberately, and MythTV certainly does not need this
anonymous account.  Therefore I would just remove it:

$ mysql -u root -p mysql
mysql> DROP USER ''@'MythBox';

--
Regards,