[mythtv-users] Mac Mini as Frontend?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Oct 22 11:37:23 UTC 2010

On Thursday, October 21, 2010 06:13:11 pm Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 10/21/2010 18:38, Brian Wood wrote:
> > DTS decoding is certainly a plus.
>
> I don't understand that.  The only port on that box that could manage
> 8-channel audio is the HDMI port.  Surely any AV receiver capable of
> handling 8-channel HDMI audio is going to have far better audio
> processing capabilities of some cheap audio codec chip.  Why not just
> pass the (5.1) DTS straight to the receiver, and let it do whatever
> up-conversion it wants with it?

I don't want 8 channels of audio.

What I want is to be able to listen to a DTS audio track, just in stereo.

Hypothetically of course, but let's say some BR rips were missing the AC3 track, and had only DTS. and I wanted to watch
such a clip without having to externally process the file to get a track my frontend could handle.

Just a hypothetical of course.