[mythtv-users] Control of / capture from UK VirginMedia HD STB

Michael PARKER michael.parker at st.com
Fri Oct 22 11:31:48 UTC 2010

> My VirginMedia Scientific Atlanta 4200DVB STB died over the weekend and I'm told it'll be replaced tomorrow with a shiny, new V HD (not V+) box (Cisco
> 4585DVB, apparently).
>
> The old 4200DVB was controlled by my Mythbox via a red-eye serial device (http://www.redremote.co.uk/serial) and AV captured as composite video + stereo
> audio by a HVR-4000 card.
>
> Has anyone got any experience of controlling and/or capturing video from the new Cisco box?
>
> I'm assuming that the composite + stereo will still be available via the SCART output (I'm already using a SCART -> 3xRCA convertor on the SA box) and that
> the IR control will use either the Pace/SA IRDA protocol or the RC-5 protocol used by (IIRC) the Samsung V+ box.
>
> Any help/experience etc. would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mike

Judging by the response, not too many UK MythTV users are capturing input from a VM STB.....

FWIW, the above configuration works fine - I'm able to capture composite video + stereo audio from the V HD Box's SCART o/p (via the SCART->RCA convertor) into the HVR-4000 and can control the STB via the Red-Eye Serial (once switched from the IRDA mode required by the previous 4200DVB to RC-5 mode).

Despite the installation guy being unsure whether video+audio were made available simultaneously via the HDMI and SCART outputs, I can confirm that they are, with SCART aspect ratio control being s/w controllable.

If any other MythTV/VirginMedia users out there need any assistance, feel free to get in touch.

Cheers,

Mike