[mythtv-users] Mac Mini as Frontend?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Oct 22 07:09:15 UTC 2010

Brian Wood wrote:

>  > > Looks like Apple just can't make up their minds about graphics chips, or,
>  > > for that matter, CPUs.

Having been using their stuff for many years, I can assure you that
this is nothing new. However, for their target market (people who
want to buuy a machine, plug it in, use it), it doesn't matter - the
end user never has to concern themselves with what ship is under the
bonnet as whatever OS comes pre-loaded on it will include full
support for the chipset used. When it comes to "tinkerers" then Apple
don't care - they aren't part of it's target market.

>  > > I know keeping compatibility with older x86 CPUs has caused problems for
>>  > Windows and Linux, but Apple's "heck with the customer" attitude bothers
>>  > me, a machine I bought new less than 5 years ago should not be virtually
>>  > abandoned by its maker, who basically tells me "you just have to
>>  > upgrade". I am a customer, not a continuing revenue stream.
>>
>>  your G4 machine no longer works?  my G4 powerbook still runs fine.
>
>It works just fine, under Linux, but is no longer supported by the
>latest version(s) of the OS that came with it.

AFAIK, security updates are still being done for 10.5. 10.6 was the
first version that dropped all support for G4/G5 models - and lets
face it, by then they hadn't sold non-intel for several years. I
still have a dual G4-400MHz mini tower in my back room - running 10.5
even though it's not officially supported.

That's the way modern life is headed. Many of us moan about how you
can't repair tellies these days, how you can't change batteries in a
lot of kit, and so on. The days of mending things rather than buying
new are long gone (for now) - and that process started in the middle
of the last century (the US military applied the principal to things
like Jeep engines - don't try fixing the old one in the field, just
drop in a new one).

Both my vehicles are 21 years old - I'd hate to try running any
modern car to even half that.

For a lot of kit, the lifecycle is less than a year now. Wasteful
yes, but it's what the modern consumer wants.

>Plus, they continued to bill me for a service I no longer use, after
>telling me (in writing) that they would cease to do
>so.

So they cocked up on the admin, that's not fundamentally related to
the original complaint.

Brian Wood wrote:

>You make more if you do not hack off loyal customers, who do they
>think they are? The Cable Company?

Well again, Apple are a different company now - and doing quite well
by being the new Microsoft. Just look at the direction they've been
taking over the last few years - steadily down the road of
"integration, exclusion, and captivation", provide an integrated
solution (just like everyone wants until they find out the hard way
that they're trapped), exclude competition, make your customers
captive. They just didn't do it as effectively as Microsoft did on
the desktop/network - but the world is a different place these days.

--
Simon Hobson