[mythtv-users] Problem with Ubuntu upgrade

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 22:13:37 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Damian <myth at surr.co.uk> wrote:
> On 21/10/2010 13:00, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>>
>> Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 12:09:45 +0100
>> From: Jason Chambers<lists at purplish-monkey.com>
>> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Problem with Ubuntu upgrade
>> To:mythtv-users at mythtv.org

>> <snip>

>> I don't think its 2) as that would give a different error. The message
>> would be "Can't connect to MySQL server on ..." wouldn't it?
>>
>> The access denied messages suggests that the username/password/database
>> name are wrong.  See
>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/access-denied.html.
>>
>> So either your ~/.mythtv/config.xml has the wrong values in it, or
>> something (probably the upgrade from the sounds of your original post)
>> has changed/removed the user's password or permissions.

>> Forget running mythbackend etc. - instead go straight to a shell prompt
>> on the backend box and try the following command:
>>
>> $ mysql -u mythtv -p -h MythBox mythconverg
>>
>> When prompted for the password use the same value from
>> ~/.mythtv/config.xml.
>>
>> (if you have used a non-default database name then you need to replace
>> mythconverg - the correct value is in ~/.mythtv/config.xml too).
>>
>> This should fail with the same "Access denied for user
>> 'mythtv'@'MythBox' (using password: YES)".
>>
>> Then readhttp://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/privilege-system.html
>> to figure out how to set the user access correctly for your setup and
>> repeat the mysql command above until it connects OK.
>>
>> Once the mysql command successfully connects, then MythTV should be fine
>> too.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jason
>
> Thanks for the responses! I'm starting to get somewhere I think.
>
> Here are the steps I've taken:
>
> 1) Checked that I can log in to phpmyadmin as root. I can.
>
> 2) Checked that I can log in to phpmyadmin as mythtv using the password
> found in ~/.mythtv/config.xml. I can
>
> 2) Ran:
> mysql -u mythtv -p -h MythBox mythconverg
> and got:
> Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'MythBox' (using password: YES)
>
> 3) Logged into phpmyadmin as root and went to the privileges section.
> I could see 2 mythtv users in there. One had the host '%' and one had the
> host 'localhost' (neither had the host 'MythBox').
> Both just had 'Usage' listed under privilages, so I edited them and clicked
> on 'Check All' to grant all privilages.

The password field on the entry with % (that is a SQL wildcard)
probably has a diferent password than the localhost entry ?  You can
either cut and paste from the localhost entry into the % entry in
phpmyadmin, or change it from the sql command line like previously
posted.

> I was hopeful that this would work, but:
> mysql -u mythtv -p -h MythBox mythconverg
> still returned:
> Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'MythBox' (using password: YES)
>
> Do I need to set up another user with 'MythBox' as the host?

No - The '%' is everywhere